The President Said He Had It Under Control
The President Said He Had It Under Control
A fictional psychological and supernatural horror story inspired by publicly reported events. The supernatural events, private conversations, characters, and situations below are fictional.
I was standing twelve feet behind the press pool when the question was asked.
It was September 29, late enough in the evening that the White House windows had turned into black mirrors. The meeting with the AI executives was over. Staffers were already drifting toward the exits, staring at their phones, thinking about dinner, traffic, spouses, children, anything that existed beyond Pennsylvania Avenue.
Then one of the reporters called out to President Trump.
Why could North Korea have nuclear weapons if Iran could not?
The room changed.
I know that sounds dramatic.
Rooms don't change because of questions.
People do.
But I swear the temperature dropped.
Trump stopped near the doorway.
He seemed almost amused.
He answered that the difference was the president.
Him.
As long as he was around, Kim Jong Un would be fine. Kim respected him. Kim liked him. They understood each other.
Several reporters shouted follow-up questions.
I barely heard them.
Because at that exact moment, every phone in the room vibrated.
Not rang.
Vibrated.
Once.
Together.
Thirty, maybe forty phones buzzing in perfect synchronization.
Everyone glanced down.
There were no notifications.
1. The Missing Sentence
My name is Daniel Mercer.
For obvious reasons, that isn't the name printed on my security badge.
I worked in communications, close enough to national security policy that I routinely saw drafts before the public did, but far enough away that nobody important remembered my birthday.
Government has thousands of people like me.
We correct commas while history burns down the hallway.
That night, after the reporters left, I returned to my office in the West Wing.
There was a revised briefing document waiting in my inbox.
I had seen an earlier version following the U.S.-China meetings.
The old language had referred explicitly to the goal of North Korean denuclearization.
The newer document didn't.
It simply said the leaders had discussed North Korea.
I opened the tracked changes.
One sentence had been deleted.
I stared at the red line crossing through it.
Then I clicked ACCEPT ALL CHANGES.
The sentence disappeared.
Five seconds later, it returned.
I frowned.
I deleted it manually.
It returned again.
This time the words were different.
HE IS ALLOWED TO KEEP THEM.
I froze.
I assumed someone inside the document was messing with me.
I checked the collaboration panel.
No other users.
I closed the file.
Opened it again.
The sentence was gone.
I laughed.
A tired little laugh you make when your brain has been sitting under fluorescent lights for fourteen hours and begins manufacturing its own entertainment.
Then the printer behind me started.
One sheet came out.
Blank.
A second followed.
Blank.
Then a third.
Across the center of the page, in enormous black letters, were four words.
BECAUSE HE LIKES ME.
2. The Situation Room
I called IT.
No answer.
I called the overnight duty office.
A young lieutenant picked up.
I explained that someone might be interfering with White House systems.
There was a pause.
“Which system?” he asked.
“Documents. Printing. Maybe internal messaging.”
Another pause.
Then he whispered, “You're seeing it too?”
My mouth went dry.
“Seeing what?”
The line went dead.
Thirty seconds later, my secure phone rang.
The display read:
SITUATION ROOM.
I answered.
No one spoke.
There was only static.
Then something underneath the static.
Breathing.
Slow.
Mechanical.
Finally, a voice said:
“He respects him.”
I hung up.
The phone rang immediately.
I let it ring.
Again.
Again.
On the sixth ring I picked up.
This time the voice said:
“Come downstairs.”
I should have left.
There is a special kind of stupidity produced by security clearances. Once the government tells you that certain doors are forbidden to ordinary people, curiosity begins eating your brain like a parasite.
I went downstairs.
The corridor was empty.
The first security station was empty.
The second was empty too.
No guards.
No analysts.
No aides carrying coffee.
Nothing.
Yet the monitors were on.
One showed the Korean Peninsula.
Another displayed the DMZ.
A third carried satellite imagery.
Red markers dotted the northern half of the peninsula.
I didn't know exactly what they represented.
I knew enough not to want to know.
On the central screen, a number appeared.
57
Then:
56
Then:
55
A countdown.
“Jesus.”
I stepped closer.
There was no clock.
No explanation.
Just numbers decreasing every few seconds.
54.
53.
52.
I grabbed the nearest secure handset.
Before I could dial, someone behind me said:
“Don't worry.”
I spun around.
No one was there.
“He's my friend.”
The voice came from the speakers.
It sounded almost familiar.
Not exactly like the President.
More like an imitation assembled from hundreds of recordings.
A machine trying to remember how confidence sounded.
“He likes me.”
The number reached 50.
3. Three Soldiers
A secure alert flashed across one monitor.
DMZ INCIDENT.
The footage showed a section of the border.
Trees.
Wire.
Dirt.
The scar of the peninsula.
Three South Korean soldiers were marked on the tactical map.
I had already read the reports about the mine explosion days earlier.
Three men injured during operations near the border.
Investigators believed a North Korean mine was responsible.
Pyongyang denied it.
It was exactly the kind of incident Washington receives in sterile language.
INCIDENT.
INJURIES.
INVESTIGATION CONTINUES.
Government vocabulary is designed to make blood fit inside PowerPoint.
But now the satellite feed was moving.
Not recorded footage.
Live.
One of the red markers crossed the Military Demarcation Line.
I stared.
Then another crossed.
Then another.
I leaned closer.
They weren't soldiers.
They weren't vehicles.
The system couldn't identify them.
Each object appeared only as a red dot.
They were moving south.
Slowly.
In a straight line.
“What the hell are those?” I whispered.
The speakers answered.
“Nothing.”
The dots stopped.
The voice continued.
“I have it under control.”
Then every dot vanished.
4. The President's Friend
I called my supervisor.
He answered immediately.
“Daniel?”
“Something is wrong downstairs.”
Silence.
“Go home.”
“The Situation Room is empty.”
“Go home.”
“There was a countdown.”
Longer silence.
Then he asked:
“What number?”
“It started at fifty-seven.”
He breathed out.
“Don't look at the screens again.”
“You know about this?”
“Daniel.”
His voice cracked.
“People think nuclear deterrence is about missiles. Warheads. Submarines. Bombers. That's the hardware.”
“What are you talking about?”
“The dangerous part is belief.”
Behind me, the monitor switched on by itself.
49.
48.
47.
My supervisor heard me breathing.
“You looked again, didn't you?”
“What happens at zero?”
He didn't answer.
“What happens?”
“Nobody knows.”
The call ended.
5. The Call From Pyongyang
The secure phone rang.
Not the one beside me.
The red one at the end of the table.
I had never seen it ring before.
I walked toward it.
The display showed no number.
No country code.
No routing information.
Only one word.
FRIEND.
I answered.
At first I heard nothing.
Then a man chuckled softly.
I couldn't identify the voice.
I still can't.
“Hello?”
The man spoke in English.
“Your president says we are friends.”
I gripped the receiver.
“Who is this?”
“He says I like him.”
“Who is this?”
The man laughed again.
“Do you know what is strange about friendship, Daniel?”
My knees almost gave out.
He knew my name.
“Friends trust each other.”
Behind me:
41.
40.
39.
“Sometimes,” the voice continued, “they stop checking what the other friend is doing.”
I hung up.
The handset rang again while still in my hand.
I threw it onto the table.
The speakers came alive.
“He respects me.”
38.
“He likes me.”
37.
“He will be fine.”
36.
The lights shut off.
6. Something Beneath Washington
Emergency lighting painted the room red.
I heard footsteps in the corridor.
Slow.
Measured.
Coming closer.
I moved toward the door.
The footsteps stopped on the other side.
I waited.
Nothing.
Then three knocks.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
“Security?” I called.
No answer.
Three more knocks.
Harder.
I looked through the narrow reinforced window.
The hallway was empty.
Another knock came from behind me.
Not the door.
Under the table.
I backed away.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
I crouched and looked underneath.
There was nothing there.
Then the carpet moved.
Just slightly.
As if something underneath the floor had pressed a hand against it.
Five fingers rose beneath the fabric.
I stumbled backward.
Another hand appeared.
Then another.
Dozens.
Pressing upward from beneath the Situation Room floor.
The speakers whispered:
“The war never ended.”
I ran.
7. The Deleted Words
I don't remember getting back upstairs.
I remember running through corridors.
I remember portraits watching me.
I remember every television in every empty office showing the same image of the Korean Peninsula.
And on every screen, the countdown continued.
29.
28.
27.
I reached my office.
The briefing document was open on my computer.
I hadn't left it open.
The deleted sentence about denuclearization had returned.
Then it began typing by itself.
WORDS MATTER.
A second line appeared.
UNTIL THEY DON'T.
Then:
TREAT SOMETHING AS PERMANENT LONG ENOUGH AND EVENTUALLY IT BECOMES PERMANENT.
I unplugged the monitor.
The words remained on the black screen.
23.
I could see the number reflected in the glass.
22.
21.
I turned around.
Someone was standing outside my office.
A short man in a dark suit.
His face was hidden by the darkness of the hallway.
“Sir?”
He didn't move.
I reached for the emergency button beneath my desk.
The man lifted one hand.
Not waving.
Pointing.
At my computer.
I looked back.
A new sentence appeared.
HE SAID I COULD KEEP THEM.
When I looked toward the hallway again, the man was gone.
8. Zero
I reached the West Wing exit at 1:13 a.m.
Outside, Washington looked completely normal.
Cars moved along Constitution Avenue.
A siren echoed somewhere downtown.
Tourists took pictures through the fence.
A food delivery driver checked his phone.
America was still America.
People were still ordering hamburgers at midnight while governments quietly calculated how many cities could disappear before breakfast.
My phone vibrated.
10.
I hadn't installed anything capable of displaying a countdown.
9.
I threw the phone into a trash can.
Someone beside me screamed.
A tourist was staring at her own phone.
8.
Across Pennsylvania Avenue, another man stopped walking.
His screen showed the same number.
7.
Every phone around me lit up.
6.
People began shouting.
5.
Traffic stopped.
4.
Car dashboards flickered.
Electronic billboards went black.
3.
The lights of Washington disappeared.
2.
For one second, the capital of the most powerful country on Earth was completely dark.
1.
I closed my eyes.
Zero.
Nothing happened.
No explosion.
No sirens.
No flash on the horizon.
The streetlights came back on.
Phones rebooted.
People looked around, confused and embarrassed.
Within minutes, everyone began explaining it away.
Cyberattack.
Grid malfunction.
Software bug.
Chinese hackers.
Russian hackers.
Teenagers.
Solar activity.
Anything.
Humans can accept almost anything if the alternative requires changing their view of reality.
I retrieved my phone from the trash.
There was one notification.
No sender.
No application.
Just a message.
WE WERE ONLY CHECKING.
9. The Next Morning
I resigned three weeks later.
The official paperwork says I left for family reasons.
That's the phrase Washington uses when the real reason would require too many meetings.
I moved to Virginia.
Far enough from D.C. that I no longer see the Washington Monument from the highway.
Not that distance would matter.
I don't watch presidential press conferences anymore.
I don't read summit statements.
I don't track missile tests.
But sometimes the news finds me anyway.
A headline appears.
A speech.
A meeting.
A promise that one powerful man understands another powerful man.
That personal relationships can contain weapons designed to erase cities.
That everything is under control because two leaders respect each other.
Whenever I hear that, I remember the hands beneath the Situation Room carpet.
I remember the sentence that wouldn't stay deleted.
I remember those red dots crossing the DMZ.
And I remember what my supervisor told me.
The dangerous part isn't the hardware.
It's belief.
Last night, at 2:17 a.m., my phone vibrated.
Once.
I looked at the screen.
There was no notification.
I almost went back to sleep.
Then my wife's phone vibrated beside me.
Once.
From the bedroom across the hall, my daughter's tablet vibrated.
Once.
The television turned itself on.
The screen was black.
White numbers appeared in the center.
57
My wife sat up.
“Daniel?”
I couldn't answer.
The number changed.
56
Then the speakers whispered something I had not heard since that night beneath the White House.
“Don't worry.”
55.
“We're friends.”
54.
I walked into my daughter's room.
She was asleep.
Her tablet glowed on the nightstand.
53.
52.
51.
And somewhere very far away, or perhaps directly beneath us, someone knocked three times.
Knock.
Knock.
Knock.
댓글
댓글 쓰기